Today is Rajab 30 (June 9), which means the month of Shabaan starts this evening! Now is a great time to start reviewing the phases of the moon and learning/practicing the duaa for sighting the crescent moon.
Here are some resources and activities:
Moon Phase Observation Journal
- Pick the same time each night to observe the moon. Record your findings in a moon phase journal.
- You can make a cardboard tube telescope (with or without lenses) and decorate it to make it more fun to observe the moon.
- Check your observations against a moon phase calendar (northern or southern hemisphere).
- Use this observe the moon lesson plan to get more out of this activity, insha Allah.
Duaa for Sighting the Crescent Moon
- Recite this duaa if you see the crescent moon tonight, insha Allah and again for Ramadan (and the start of any Islamic month)
- Download Mini mumin’s duaa poster or my Ramadan organizer which contains the duaa in word for word translation form.