My 14 year old thinks she wants to go into graphic design. Ma sha Allah, I think she has the aptitude for it. She is my color analyst for projects. She has a flair for laying things out; whereas I may just put pictures or clip art straight on a page, she may slant them, or if I go with a basic skinny line border, she may take it and just make the line bolder and what a difference it makes.
So, I have scoured the net looking for resources to help her get some of the theory behind graphic design. I think I’d like to take some of the tutorials myself……………….
I thought these resources would be great for her, as well as material for elective courses for high school.
Exploring Graphic Design as a possible career choice
- Teach Yourself Graphic Design: A Self Study Course Outline (really helpful)
- Graphic Design Courses: What You’ll Study
- Careers in Graphic Design: How to Become a Graphic Designer
Free Tutorials and Online Introductory Courses (and reading that can be used for HS coursework)
- The Basics of Graphic Design (really good!)
- What is Graphic Design? Overview, Basics of Design Principles, and Design Elements
- Introduction to Elements of Design (About.com)
- The Principles of Design
- The History of Graphic Design
- Graphics Design Principles Index
- Graphic Design 101 Tutorials (Loads of links here!)