Here are a few tips for organizing for a new school year.
Create/Find and Organize Administrative Papers
Set up a binder or other storage system and make/gather all administrative papers and plans
- Create school year calendar with breaks and quarters/semesters, etc.
- Create a course of study (list of classes and books/resources)for each student for the year
- Plan out each class for each student for the school year against the school year calendar(i.e. make a syllabus/schedule of lessons)
- Collect/make needed teacher admin papers such as attendance logs, grading sheets, etc and file; keep master copies in a designated place such as a binder.
- Set up student organizers (weekly or daily assignment sheets, calendars, reference papers, charts, checklists, reading logs, etc); make/find necessary papers for organizer
(I currently use presentation books –books with page protectors preattached)
- Create a daily household schedule and post it in study area
- Set up a school schedule routine:
- Set school start and end times
- Designate breaks times (bathroom, water, snacks etc)
- Set up guidelines for work to be submitted:
- Headings on papers (establish a format)
- Expected format of work itself (i.e. fold paper in half, don’t write in margins, number the pages, neatness, how to show final math answers, etc.)
- Set up procedure for submission and return of “homework”/Class work
- When and where should homework/classwork be turned in
- Where to pick up after graded/reviewed
- Establish Make-up work policies
- Set consequences for not completing work
Set Up Classroom/study area
- Set expectations/rules for study/class time (Make poster to hang in study area) and review with student(s)
- Post daily class schedule in classroom
- Set up study/class area (let kids help)
i. student desks or personal study areas
ii. walls/bulletin board displays
iii. supply area
- Obtain student’s personal supplies and distribute
- Set up any centers (stationary or portable (file folder center, for example or a science center)
To build enthusiasm for the new year, take kids shopping for clothes and school supplies and let them set up their backpacks/school supply pouches, etc.